Eliza, the proprietor of Boogie Bee Jewelry on Instagram, creates distinctive polymer clay jewellery corresponding to watches and earrings. The jewellery options cute themes corresponding to aliens, animals, mushrooms, and different wildlife. With shiny colours and lovable prints, these enjoyable earrings enchantment to virtually 30k followers on Instagram.
A sort of modeling clay, polymer clay, doesn’t comprise any clay supplies. It’s fabricated from artificial supplies like plasticizers and PVC (polyvinyl chloride). However, since its traits resemble clay so intently, many individuals take into account it “man-made clay.” The polymer clay shares pure clay’s flexibility, versatility, and ease, making it enticing to artists.
The historical past and background of polymer clay
- Polymer clay didn’t make its debut on the earth till the late Thirties. While it’s a comparatively new arts and crafts medium, the pliable clay has grown in reputation worldwide.
- It was first found in Germany by doll maker Fifi Rehbinder. She had hassle discovering her commonplace provides resulting from political uprisings on the time. So, she determined to make her supplies, making a plastic clay she referred to as “Fifi Mosaik.”
- About 30 years later, in 1964, she offered her components to producer Eberhard Faber. They named it Fimo, and toy shops throughout Europe began carrying the polymer clay.
- The clay didn’t seem within the US till the Seventies. An immigrant household from Germany obtained the Fimo model clay as a Christmas current from their grandmother, nonetheless residing in Germany. In 1975, the household began importing the clay into the US, and corporations jumped on the bandwagon additionally.
- Others within the US additionally started to create their variations of polymer clay. In the Nineteen Sixties, Zenith Products Company by accident made a polymer clay whereas engaged on thermal switch compounds. It didn’t work as they’d hoped, however the proprietor’s daughter steered utilizing it as an arts and crafts medium. The company named it “Polyform,” identified at present as the favored polymer clay “Sculpey.”
- Sculpey began promoting coloured clay in 1984. Until that point, artists needed to create their coloured dyes for initiatives.
- Today, many various corporations promote polymer clay, and it’s even accessible in different varieties. Liquid polymer clay, mica clays, glitter clays, and glow-in-the-dark clays are another widespread choices.
Interesting info about polymer clay
- It stays delicate till baked within the oven. You can bake it in your common residence oven because it’s non-toxic. Most identify manufacturers suggest to bake the clay at 275 levels F for about half-hour.
- In addition to creating jewellery, some folks use it to create image frames, collectible figurines, keychains, ornaments, and extra. The sky’s the restrict with regards to what you can begin with this bendable clay.
- It dries a lot faster than conventional air-dry clay. Once it’s out of the oven, it’s prepared to make use of as soon as it cools.
- It doesn’t dry out, so you possibly can retailer it for years and choose it again up the place you left off. However, it does maintain finest in a cool, dry place out of daylight.
- You don’t want a lot to get began. If you’re making earrings, you’ll want the clay, earring backs, soar rings, versatile superglue, and parchment paper for baking. For instruments, you’ll need to have an acrylic rolling pin, a pointy craft knife, clay cutters, a baking sheet, a toothpick or giant needle, and jewellery pliers helpful.
- Before you make your creations, you’ll have to situation the clay. To do that, roll and knead it in your palms to extend flexibility and softness. Many artists use a pasta machine to make the method simpler; run it by about 20 occasions for finest use.
Eliza’s journey with promoting her polymer clay creations
“So, I started my jewelry account in January of this year (2020), which has been crazy. But making art in general, I would say it’s been my whole life. My earliest memories I can recall my mom painting and always doing something fun to my bedroom,” Eliza says. “Like we would have really decorated and coordinated furniture in my rooms and…I remember she painted vines on one of my walls one time. I definitely helped with that, and I think I liked it.”
Eliza enjoys making her earrings in pure gentle each time attainable. She typically works on her balcony and even sitting exterior within the grass. Being pure helps to encourage the inventive course of.
She advises anybody getting into the polymer clay artwork world to ask for assist in the event that they want it. For instance, in the event you observe a creator on-line who conjures up you, don’t hesitate to succeed in out to them. Often, in the event you’re well mannered and open-minded, they’ll give you recommendation on getting began.
Eliza discovered the arduous method and tried to set every thing up herself. She needed to search out issues out on her personal, however this made the method far more tough. So, for any newbies, she suggests not following in her footsteps and getting the recommendation of long-time makers.
She says, “You’d be surprised how many people are willing to help you.”
If you’d like to take a look at her creations, please go to her Etsy store! She’s at present taking a break, however you possibly can nonetheless peruse her earrings and different jewellery. We assure you’ll discover one thing that catches your eye.
Final ideas on this gifted girl who designs polymer clay earrings
If you’ve by no means heard of polymer clay earlier than, you’ve most likely seen it at the least as soon as in your life. Many crafters use it to create many arts and crafts, from collectible figurines to jewellery, as a result of it’s sturdy and versatile. Not to say, it’s fairly straightforward to make use of; you roll it, pop it within the oven, and it’s able to go! After baking it, you possibly can create virtually something you possibly can think about, and it’ll final for years to come back.
Working with polymer clay seems to be fairly enjoyable, so possibly you’ll wish to give it a strive. If you’re not the artsy kind, you possibly can nonetheless use it for sensible issues like bookmarks, planters, and even dishes!