Chirpy the cheeky cockatiel lives with his loving proprietor Liz in Perth, Western Australia. The lovely little fowl enjoys cuddles, head rubs and hanging out with his “hoomans” probably the most. While these birds require extra care than some pets, cockatiels are recognized for being loving and affectionate. Liz waited a whereas to undertake one, however as soon as she noticed Chirpy, she had to have him.
“I’ve wanted a cockatiel for as long as I think I can remember, but for whatever reason, the time was never right. It was one day during lockdown and we went to a local pet shop, and there was Chirpy all by himself,” Liz recollects. “That’s when I kind of knew that yep, he was the one, and I wanted to take him home. That was it, and the rest was history.”
She adopted Chirpy when he was about 2.5 months outdated, and so they’ve been collectively practically two years now. He’s a gray male cockatiel with the basic red-orange cheeks and yellow head and neck. He’s a lovely, good-looking fowl, and he and Liz have develop into finest buddies.
In the start, although, Chirpy appeared a bit frightened in his new surroundings and wanted time to regulate. Like most animals, he responded effectively to meals and let his guard down a little.
“I don’t think he was quite hand tamed at that point, so when I brought him home, I had to take it really slowly with him,” Liz mentioned. “I bribed him with a lot of seeds, and then before we knew it, we were best friends.”
What it’s like proudly owning the lovely cockatiel Chirpy
Chirpy hangs out with Liz all day, and solely goes to his cage at night time to sleep. Chirpy’s favourite exercise is hanging out on Liz’s shoulder. He can say a few issues like “hello”, “Little birdy”, and “Hello little birdy.” Liz thinks his little “hello” is the cutest of all of them, although!
When he’s not speaking up a storm, he enjoys cuddling with Liz. She says that’s her favourite factor to do with him since he’s such a nice cuddler. Who knew birds might cuddle identical to canines and cats do? If you get a cockatiel, anticipate a lot of affection and cuddles, as a result of that’s what they do finest!
However, getting a fowl comes with a lot of duty, as they want specialised care. Liz has the next recommendation for anybody wanting a pet fowl:
“Being a bird owner, I think you really do have to take some things into consideration. If you’re considering getting a bird, always make sure that you’ve actually got an avian vet close to you. If you really can’t provide the appropriate vet care, then maybe owning a bird isn’t the right pet for you – maybe you should consider a different kind of pet.”
Despite the challenges of being a fowl mother, Liz wouldn’t change a factor. Chirpy undoubtedly brightens up her life with his cute little voice and affectionate cuddles.
“I really couldn’t imagine my life now without Chirpy. It’s been so rewarding having him and watching our relationship grow from when he was a really frightened little bird to the friendship we have now.”
Interesting details about cockatiels
- The cockatiel was first found in Australia in 1770. However, it didn’t develop into widespread as a pet till the Australian gold rush within the 1900s.
- You ought to by no means prepare dinner with Teflon or some other non-stick cookware in case you have birds in your house. Fumes emitted throughout the cooking course of can lead to harm and even dying, as birds are very delicate to these chemical compounds.
- If you notice cockatiels within the wild, you’ll see enormous flocks of them looking for our bodies of water to discover reprieve from the Australian warmth.
- Cockatiels are often known as very sociable birds who want a lot of interplay. They will develop into depressed should you depart them alone for lengthy durations of time. If you recognize you’ll be gone a lot of the day, ensure that to get one other cockatiel for it to play with.
- Male cockatiels discuss and whistle extra loudly and sometimes than females. This is as a result of within the wild, males use their voices to entice females.
- Cockatiels are the preferred fowl within the parrot household apart from parakeets or budgies.
- Cockatiels can reside up to 25 years on common, although most reside to round 15 years. However, some can reside up to 32 years outdated. In reality, the oldest cockatiel on report lived to an age of 36! Their life span is determined by correct care, diet, and surroundings.
- Cockatiels take pleasure in whistling greater than speaking, not like some parrots. Some cockatiels may even whistle entire songs!
- Cockatiels want about 14 hours of sleep every day.
- Male cockatiels are not any deadbeat fathers. Even although the moms hatch the eggs and look after newborns, the males don’t fly away and abandon their newborns. They’re very protecting of their household. They will even combat off a lot bigger predators within the wild who threaten their household. Like the moms, the fathers nurture their younger and behave fairly affectionately towards them.
- Cockatiels are susceptible to “night frights,” the place they develop into spooked or distressed at night time. This occurs once they can’t perceive the supply of a sudden noise or motion throughout the night time. So, in an try to escape doable hurt, they thrash round of their cage as they fight to fly away. To forestall or a minimum of cut back occurrences of night time frights, place a small night time mild close to their cage. Also, keep away from overlaying the cage absolutely so some mild can nonetheless get in.
Final ideas on the male cockatiel who loves to cuddle
Most individuals don’t consider birds as being very cuddly, however Chirpy the cockatiel might shock you! His mother says he’s very affectionate, spending most of his day hanging out on her shoulder. The pleasant fowl loves hanging out with his people, as most cockatiels do.
It’s straightforward to see why these birds make fantastic pets. Some cockatiels even love to go on adventures with their house owners! If you could have the time and resources for a pet fowl, undoubtedly think about a cockatiel!